Ensuring that your roof is in top condition is important. To be able to determine if your roof needs repairs or an actual replacement, your trusted for roofing in Des Moines IA, Buresh Home Solutions, lists down the six signs that mean you may need a brand new roof, and all you need is one sign to know it’s time.
- Roof age – Depending on the roofing materials used (although many factors, such as the weather and roof maintenance, play in the roofing’s longevity as well), a roof has an average life span and is usually expected to be replaced once it reaches a certain amount of years. Here are some popular roofing materials and their average life spans:
- Asphalt Shingles – 15 to 30 years
- Composite – about 20 years
- Metal – 75 to 100 years
- Tile – up to 100 years
- Wood – 15 to 30 years
- Fiberglass – up to 30 years
- Concrete – up to 50 years
- Curling and buckling of shingles – If you notice shingles that are curling and losing granules, it could mean the shingles are past their life expectancy and should be replaced immediately. There could also be a possibility that the roof is defective or is not properly installed; either way, this could lead to bigger problems if ignored.
- Valleys – Valleys are one of the most important areas of your roof. Valleys help rainwater and/or melted snow get into gutters and into drains. If the valley is severely compromised, you could be susceptible to leaks.
- Missing shingles – Look for missing shingles. If you see any, that might be a sign of bigger problems.
- Shingle granules in the gutters – Check your gutters and look for granules. These granules are from shingles that are at the end of their life cycle. Replace shingles if you see granules loading up in your gutters.
- Daylight through the roof boards – Check your attic to see if there is any daylight coming through the roof boards. If you notice the light penetrating the roof, it means that the shingles are thinning and are already damaged; they need replacing ASAP.
We provide the best in roofing services, products, and repairs; we also handle insulation in Des Moines IA. Just give us a call to get a quote. We promise to take care of your home as if it were our own. You can trust our combined experience of over 50 years to deliver excellent roofing services.